Friday, July 17, 2015

Rhodesian Ridgeback Olympic Dog

Do Rhodesian Ridgebacks ever get tired, is it even possible to wear them out? This is an interesting question. A lot of
the time out and about people often ask me know much exercise this type of dog needs. Sometimes, people have wanted one but decided against it because of beliefs that these dogs need too much exercise. 

First, let me address some myths. While Rhodesian Ridgebacks do need a lot of physical activity it isn't necessarily as much as you might think. They are very adaptable. I have noticed with Emma that if she doesn't get exercise for a day or two, she gets kind of depressed and mopey. So I take her out for a short walk or run and she's back to normal, good as new. 
My favorite desk, told you she was a couch potato.
Another thing we need to understand is that inside the house ridgebacks are nothing at all like labs. They aren't hyper or "on" all the time. My last lab constantly had a ball and was ready to play. Inside or out, ready to play fetch all the time. Not so with emma, she's kind of a couch potato inside. If I lay down she's right next to me fast asleep, if I'm watching TV she's asleep right next me on the floor. If someone saw this they might even think she was lazy or didn't do much. This is of course completely untrue. 

If I start putting shoes on, she is suddenly completely alert with her tail wagging ready to go. She loves going for walks, but her favorite thing in the whole world besides me, is running. She lives for it. If I take her to a park and let her off leash, she runs in circles and figure eight patterns for ten minutes without stopping. Not chasing anything mind you, not running after a squirrel, ball, or frisbee, just running for the pure joy of running. And I have to say it is amazing to watch these dogs run. Their stride lowers to the ground and you can suddenly see the greyhound blood in them, wicked fast and agile she can turn on a dime. 

I try to take her out daily for exercise, whether it's a walk, swim at the lake, run through the park, or another of her favorites the dog park where she gets to run just fast enough so the other dogs can't catch her. 

The flip side of all this is, I have never seen her truly physically exhausted. There are reports that this breed can capably keep up with a horse for 30 miles before tiring. While I haven't tried this with a horse, Emma has kept up with me offloading on our ATV's in the mountains without trying for several miles. 

The caveat to this is cold or rain, Emma hates the rain, if it's raining outside I can barely get her to go outside, let alone go out and play or run. I think it might be the cold and lack of fur. 

These dogs are a favorite breed of olympic athletes and other endurance athletes because they can take any amount of exercise you can throw at them and they will love you more for it. Just know that once you get them back inside, you'll be dealing with a huge couch potato that hates the cold. 
If I work late this is how Emma tells me it's time for bed 

No comments:

Post a Comment